For both men and women Valentine’s Day is either looked forward to or hated. This may be due to a specific relationship status (or lack thereof) or a distaste for the commercialism. Contrary to popular belief, there are many ways to make this a day to remember.
In these current economical times Valentine’s Day can be that much more of a challenge, but looked at creatively can provide a meaningful and timeless experience.
I will use the next few days leading up to Valentine’s to share some creatively inexpensive (but romantic) date ideas for you and your Valentine.
If you are celebrating your first date on Valentine’s Day, congratulations! Of course you are looking to make a great first expression, but can your wallet afford it? This is what I recommend to make sure your first expression is memorable and touching.
1. Flowers are a nice touch. Every girl loves getting flowers. But if the dozen long stemmed roses aren’t in your budget (or is your style) try a single bloom of her favorite flower. Your date will be touched at the thought you put into choosing it, especially if the choice of flower is unique.
2. Go to a local downtown area and enjoy the sites. People watch, talk and just enjoy each others’ company. Dinner and a movie may be the classic date but it is hard to learn anything about someone at the movies, all the attention is taken up by the big screen and people shush you if you try to talk.
3. Don’t be afraid to share. Most nicer restaurants have large appetizer menus (The Cheesecake Factory) for example. If you and your date are like me, they can’t handle dinner AND dessert, and isn’t dessert the best part? By sharing one or two small plates you can enjoy a variety of items and save room for the best part of the evening.
4. If there are any cafes with live music enjoy a cup of coffee and the scene. Music can bring people together, and if you keep your conversation somewhat quiet people won’t give you dirty looks like they would for talking over a movie.
5. Share a larger dessert. If the date has made it to dessert that means the two of you are getting along great! Celebrate with dessert for two. If you are in Southern California I recommend the Frati Gelato Cafe in downtown Fullerton. Melt Gelato also has cafes in select areas across the United States.
Wherever your first date leads you, I wish you luck!